Wednesday, November 13, 2013

No More Self Pity

When I lost
the sight in one eye
I bawled like a child
wondering why

Feeling sorry for self,
well that was for me
forgetting the fact
that I could still see

My life now over
was the message unfurled
to me it did seem
like the end of the world

But it was only one eye,
what's happened to me
the self pity set in,
was this how life would be

My thoughts turned to fear
of losing the other
how would I survive
would I be a bother

it's not fair
why me
why can't I see

But I could still see
with the eye I had left
and then something happened
I was no longer bereft

I started noticing folks
that were worse off than I
with problems far worse
than the loss of an eye

That became the end of self pity,
the end of the fight
and I started to look
at the world in new light

I started to see
all the things I'd looked past
there was beauty in all things,
I could see this at last

Again such a change,
a new chapter in life
one that had opened
through pity and strife

It was a lesson I needed,
one I had not known I would
it opened the eyes of my heart,
it changed me for good

These lessons in life
though we hate them at times
if we wait for their reason
we won't see them as crimes

Look towards the positive
appreciate all you have
for when soothing the spirit
it's a wonderfully strong salve.



No comments:

Post a Comment