Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Don't Let The Seasons Of Life Pass You By

“My child arrived just the other day
he came to the world in the usual way”

Harry Chapin wrote these words
they should have been a lesson

The father was away when
his son took his first steps
he missed the first words spoken
these moments were gone forever
never to return

As in Harry's song
I too missed my sons
taking their first steps
speaking their first words

It was the same for me
as it is with most fathers

There was a living to be made
to provide for my family

That meant that the family
would fall in line
behind my responsibility
to provide

Sacrifices would have to be made

I thought

Some how I didn't realize
that these sacrifices
would affect them as much as me

Though I was not there at times
they still learned from me

The lessons were not necessarily good

It was not I alone who missed out
on the lives of my sons

They too missed out on mine

The seasons passed by
and my sons grew
into men
and gone off to join
the world of responsibility

In many ways
they became just like me

I was there when both were born
retirement has made me available
to them now

But there is a huge gap
between these times

There are some good memories
but there was more time missed


Don't let the seasons of life pass you by



No comments:

Post a Comment