Monday, April 7, 2014

An Act Always Outweighs An Intention

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. ~Oscar Wilde~

He asked for some food
from out of the gutter
I was already late
and began to stutter

Said I'll be back
but he'd heard that before
he just looked away
yeah, he knew the score

I meant to help
I really did
but then somehow
his life took a skid

Slipping away
he no longer had hope
to rise once again
he could no longer cope

Life itself
had become way too much
but my hesitation
stole his last crutch

For there in the gutter
he'd just given up
I was his last hope
and I'd not filled his cup

Oh what I'd give
to go back in time
and help that poor soul
up out of the grime

The morgue truck came
and took him away

“How the hell was I to know
this was his last day”





No comments:

Post a Comment